Without any public consultation Staffordshire Moorlands District Council has put forward a Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment (SHLAA), identifying potential plots for house building in Moorlands villages. The plans are based upon the aspirations of landowners and developers and could influence where houses are built through until 2026. The SHLAA has been submitted as a last minute addition to the District Council’s Core Strategy plan forwarded to the Government Inspector on 12 September 2012.
Whiston Action Group has drawn Whiston residents’ attention to the lack of public consultation via the following newsletter. Maps for all villages are available for the public to see on the Staffordshire Moorlands web site. Follow the link below:-
Dear Resident, Sep 2012
Potential Housing Development in Whiston.
- The map overleaf shows sites in Whiston, where land owners or developers have made approaches to Staffordshire Moorlands District Council (SMDC) expressing interest in building houses.
- As part of the recently published and widely criticised Core Strategy Document, SMDC is required to produce and consult upon a Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment (SHLAA). The District Council is currently considering expressions of interest from land owners and developers to decide where houses should be built in the future, but has made little attempt to publically advertise what it is doing. On your behalf WAG have researched the SHLAA documentation and finds it worrying. The process by which it is being compiled is very opaque.
- You may care to visit the SMDC website and see for yourself what outline proposals SMDC is considering for our village.
- WAG has uncovered more detailed information on specific sites, which can be viewed by visiting WAG’s website at
www.whiston-action-group.co.uk If you find out any more information please contact a member of WAG.
- In the recent past, planning applications have been processed by the district council and even our own local parish council without there being adequate public consultation, which is a matter of serious concern. It is therefore important that we all know about and engage in future proposals for the village.
- If you have any concerns, now is the time to approach our Councillors and SMDC to ask for information. You can contact either of our two district councillors,
Elsie Fallows on 07860 188830 or Josie Clowes on 01538 750377.
- Councillors Fallows and Clowes are the two elected district councillors for our area. Both have the responsibility to make representations on your behalf at District Council meetings. This is your community. You are entitled to know who is planning what and to have involvement directly in the discussions. So far only landowners and developers have been involved. You might want to ask why. Do not allow yourself to be fobbed off – demand answers. Other District Councils are holding public consultations in shaping their SHLAA. Ask SMDC why they have not asked you?
Whiston Action Group